Monday, September 26, 2016

Ride London 2016



From Gaye Illsley

The Ride London 100 was the most amazing experience; I loved every minute of it!  I used to be a fair weather cyclist and my biggest annual challenge was the London to Cambridge Bike Events ride, just under 60 miles.  My partner and several friends hand done the Ride London 100 and loved it as you get to ride on closed roads through London.  I had applied each year but not been successful until 2016!  In February I got the magic letter that said I had a place!  But I needed to complete 100 miles within 8.5 hours.  I was not fast enough or fit enough to complete.  So I started working with a nutritionist and joined Forty Plus. 

5 months later I had lost 2 stone, was training 3 times a week and was consistently riding at 12 miles an hour.  I had completed several 60, 70 and 75 mile rides.  I was ready!

The ride was absolutely fantastic; the spectators were amazing, thousands of people out on the streets supporting the 26,000 rides.  What a buzz, I think it is the closest feeling I will ever get to running a marathon.  My favourite spectator was a lady at the top of Wimbledon Hill at 92 miles giving out Bourbon biscuits!

If other members are interested there is still time to apply for next year:-


19th Sept 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment